Sculptra is the treatment that activates your skin’s natural power to revitalize collagen production for a more youthful appearance. Sculptra is a unique treatment due to its ability to stimulate collagen.
• Sculptra is an injectable cosmetic filler that can be used to restore facial volume lost due to aging or illness.
• It contains poly-L-lactic acid (PLLA), a biocompatible synthetic substance that stimulates collagen production.
• It can be used to treat deep lines, creases, and folds to give a more youthful appearance.
• It’s also used to treat facial fat loss (lipoatrophy)
Sculptra is an injectable dermal fillers that has been around since 1999. It was first approved by the FDA in 2004 to treat lipoatrophy in people living with HIV. Lipoatrophy causes facial fat loss that results in sunken cheeks and deep folds and indentations on the face.
In 2014, the FDA approved Sculptra Aesthetic for treating wrinkles and folds on the face to give a more youthful appearance.The main ingredient in Sculptra is poly-L-lactic acid (PLLA). It’s classified as astimulator that provides long-lasting, natural-looking results that can last up to two years.
Sculptra is safe and effective but isn’t recommended for people with allergies to any of its ingredients or for those with medical conditions that cause irregular scarring.
• Some results can be seen after just one treatment, but full results take a few weeks.
• The average treatment regimen consists of three injections over the course of three or four months.
• Results can last up to two years.
• The procedure is performed in-office by our nurse practitioner.
• No pretesting is required for Sculptra treatments.
• You can return to your normal activities immediately after treatment.
• There is no special preparation required.
There is unique care after Sculptra, that is different from other fillers.
You must massage the treated area
-> 5 times a day
-> for 5 minutes each time
-> for 5 days
This is known as the Rule of 5
If that is too challenging, you may instead massage the treated area
-> 2 times a day
-> for 2 minutes
-> for 2 weeks
Sculptra can be injected into the face to reduce facial wrinkles and folds.
There are 'off label' uses for Sculptra including:
-> non-surgical butt lift
-> correcting 'hip dips'
-> correcting chest, elbow and knee wrinkles
Although this procedure is much less invasive than surgery, there are some possible side effects such as:
Although some amount of swelling is expected after injections, there are ways to reduce the possibility of swelling, redness and bruising.
• minimize alcohol consumption for 3-14 days before your treatment
• avoid taking certain supplements and medication before the injections:
• Stop taking Aspirin and any other kinds of anti-inflammatory medications for a few days before your appointment
• Stop all herbal supplements such as fish oil, ginkgo, ginseng, St. John’s Wort, garlic pills, etc. (a multi-vitamin is ok to continue).
• Always discuss any history of allergies and current medications you are taking with your provider.
• you may wish to start taking arnica before the treatment. Arnica montana is a natural supplement which helps to reduce swelling and bruising. Starting the supplement the day prior to the procedure and continuing after the procedure is recommended.